Saturday, March 12, 2011

Who Says Only Country Music Comes Out Of Tennessee and Kentucky?

I moved (with great reluctance) to the Nashville area in 2007. As much as I fought the idea of moving here, it opened up a new world to me as far as music was concerned, and that in itself has been worth all the "suffering."  Most people associate country music with Nashville, but there are so many talented non-country bands here, and I am discovering more and more every day.

In addition to the Nashville scene, Lexington and Louisville also produce outstanding music. Although I either know members or people closely related to the following three bands, I feel like I can tell you with utter assurance that these three will rock the socks right off you! Take a listen and let me know what you think... 

 FEEDBACK REVIVAL:

I was very excited when Grant (the hubs)'s cousin, Alicia, told us about her husband, Nathan's, band. Feedback Revival is quickly making quite a name for themselves around Nashville. They are a smooth blend of funk, soul, and southern rock all mixed together in a big ball of awesome.  The band consists of Dan Fenton on lead vocals and guitar, Nathan McFarland on guitar, Brandon Urich on drums,  and Justin Miller on bass.

You can check out their Facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/#!/feedbackrevival) or their Myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/feedbackrevival) for more info or to purchase some of their music! I suggest the song Money, which you can watch a video of below. At the end of this month they will be playing alongside The Romany Rye and The Weeks (HELLO) at 12th & Porter, and you can count on my happy ass being there!










NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS:


 Very recently, my aunt told me about her friend's son's band, The Non-Commissioned Officers.  They played at Mercy Lounge last night, and unfortunately I wasn't able to make it, but I will definitely be catching the next show.  This large group band, with their Violent Femms-ish pop sound, are truly a breath of fresh air for this town.

They got together writing music for the indie film Make-Out with Violence (in my Netflix DVD queue, and also starring members of the band).   I'm going to thief a little review from the bands website, because I know I can't say it any better, so why even try?
"While part of the Non-Commissioned Officers' mystique stems from their ability to deliver mind-bending compositions and lush pop-infused allure in a city known for the sheen of the synthetic country music hit, ultimately the band's hometown has little relevance. These songs are timeless, out-of-nowhere gems waiting to be discovered and cherished for traversing between deft arrangements and infinite energy."  Amen.

The Non-Commissioned Officers are releasing their album, Money Looking for Thieves, on March 14! You can get more info by checking out their website (www.thenoncommissionedofficers.com) or their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Non-Commissioned-Officers/72586281166?ref=ts&sk=wall#!/pages/The-Non-Commissioned-Officers/72586281166?sk=info).  Also check out Make-Out With Violence...I know I'm gunna!









LOOSE BAGGY MONSTER:


Lexington-based Loose Baggy Monster, is a band I have a personal connection to. Lead singer and lead guitarist, Joshua Bush, just happens to be by best friend's hubby.  But in addition to that, this band is truly unique, mixing all different styles and types of music into a rock fusion sound out of this world. Whether it is putting a new spin on an old cover or electrifying the stage with one of their original soon-to-be hits, Loose Baggy Monster has the makings of a true rock and roll band.

Loose Baggy Monster is made up of :
Joshua Bush - Lead Vocals / Lead Guitar
Paul Fisherkeller - Rhythm Guitar / Vocals
Levi Bolin - Drums / Percussion / Vocals
Dave Wood - Percussion / Harmonica / Vocals
Luke Cornett - Bass / Vocals

Seeing The Monster released on stage was quite an experience. For the first time in my life I got to say, "I'm with the band!" A great gig on top of that was just icing on the cake. You can see Loose Baggy Monster's groovy "Pomplamoose" inspired videos on YouTube.  Check it!

















No comments:

Post a Comment