Wednesday, March 30, 2011

And I lost my British soul...



Sunday night, my husband, Grant and I went to 3rd and Lindsley in downtown Nashville with some friends, Carol and Matt, for a little evening of music, food, drinks, and of course, music. Bobby Long, one of my very favorite British singer-songwriters was the main event, but beforehand I was introduced to two new acts. I found myself grabbing a napkin and a pen from my purse to jot down notes as quickly as I could!

The first act was Curtis Peoples. He had the face of a 12-year-old but the voice of a man well beyond his years. He, interestingly enough, had a "Daughtry-ish" quality to his voice, although his style of music was much more "singer-songwriter." He definitely had some good songs, and I feel that he is maybe just beginning to mold into the singer he wants to be. I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. He is talented for sure, just maybe not my style. Two songs I would recommend you check out of his are "Rooftop" and "I'm Not the One."




The second band, I was completely blown away with. It was an L.A. band called Everest. They had recently released their second album and were touring to promote it. I absolutely loved them. In fact, our whole table, and possibly the whole crowd did too, including Bobby Long. Their sound is a cool mix of Band of Horses and Coldplay, and their look was very Band of Horses as well. They had a kind of 60's throwback mixed with 90's pop, mixed with indie folk rock. It was outstanding. They are definitely being added to my ever growing list of favorite bands! After the show, I had to go buy a t-shirt and Carol and I were fortunate enough to meet the lead singer, Russell. We had our picture made and talked for a bit. I told him how they were a new favorite of mine and he seemed very appreciative. It is so neat to talk with someone you admire who is "just one of the guys." There's no hype or nervousness, just simple conversation. He even asked us if we could spare a piece of gum.  You have to check out "House of 9's", "Let Go," "Trees," and "Rapture."






And finally, Bobby Long...

To say that Bobby Long is "dreamy" is an understatement.  Pair his incredible good looks with a British accent and a voice out of this world...FORGET ABOUT IT! In addition to that, his guitar playing skills are stellar and his songwriting puts him in a class all his own. But the best part about Bobby Long? He's just your average guy.  In between sets, I found myself waiting in line for the restroom. All of a sudden, this handsome, young guy with a scraggly beard and a hoodie walks up. Outside, I remained cool and collected. Inside I was screaming! It was him, just getting in line for the "loo".  I was next up, but I offered him my place. After all, he did have to be on stage in a few minutes! He accepted and was so grateful and generous. He clapped his hands together and bowed slightly and repeated "thank you", and "are you sure?" a few times.

Then he went on stage...his talent is unarguable. This was my third time to see him live, but my first time to see him with a band. It's amazing how the addition of the band has evolved him as an artist. It was much more rock and he seemed a bit more free.  He did old favorites like "Who Have You Been Loving?", "Left to Lie," and "In the Frost." He took the ballad "Winter Tale" and rocked it out and the band had a full on jam session during it.  Also he debuted a new song, "Devil Moon", which had a much more rock & roll feel to it than his other, more folksy tunes.



On top of being talented, he is also funny, which for me, is more important than the pretty face. Before preforming "Dead and Done," he stated, "The next song is called...what is it called? It's a Rush cover..." I couldn't help but laugh. Anyone who loves a British accent would love hearing him speak and sing. His accent is heavy and he throws words like "wags" and "cash in the kitty," into the mix. Finally, his last song was a song called "Hard to Take," which I had never heard before. He was joined on stage by two of his friends, Caleb and Eric (I will have to do more research and find out who these guys are). It was such a fitting end to the show. Unfortunately, there was no "meet and greet" afterward like there had been in the past, so we didn't get to meet him (other than the bathroom experience) and have our photos taken. But I have done that twice before, so I was okay with that.

Overall, it was a fantastic night and I am thankful I got to share it with some great people. Carol, by the way, is credited for the majority of the photos you see. She is a very talented photographer and I hope she can come along with me to many more shows!

No comments:

Post a Comment