Sunday, February 6, 2011

Paramore: True to their roots, or corporate machine?



 One of my favorite bands ever is Paramore. No one can deny the talent of this group. Fronted by lead singer, Hayley Williams, the band has experienced quite a lot of success in recent years.  But with success comes turmoil, and the band has recently faced quite a setback with the departure of founding members, Josh and Zac Farro. There seemed to be quite a bit of animosity, and talk of Williams becoming "too controlled by the record company".  Whether or not this is the case, I don't know. Regardless, this band writes and creates their own music on their own terms, and that to me is what is important. I don't begrudge anyone wanting to "make it." After all, most if not all musicians dream of becoming a huge success, don't they? They want the recognition and respect that comes along with making great music. And why would anyone want to deny them that? That is what they work so hard for.

Many of my friends who claim to be "indies" were really dogging the remaining band members and griping about how Hayley had sold out, and blah, blah, blah. I call bullshit on that. The band, as a whole or as two fewer, have always done things their way.  They write their own music, not walk into a board room and are told what to sing. They bust their tails to preform amazing live shows (I know because I traveled from Nashville to Atlanta to see them in '09 and it was so worth it). Why can't we allow them to enjoy their success? Being an "indie princess" doesn't mean I lose respect for a musician I love just because they made it. Come on folks.

I guess we will see what happens with the band on down the road and if they become part of the corporate machine or continue to make awesome music that has purpose and truth. Only they can decide that. But I am betting on the band I love. And I will do so until they prove otherwise.


 (all photos taken by my dear friend, Megan Maddox).



1 comment:

  1. I agree, they are amazing and real :)
    I love them too ♥

    ReplyDelete