Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bonnaroo Line-up Just Announced & Why You Won't See Me There

I'm not a fan of mud.
Just over an hour ago the 2011 Bonnaroo line-up was released.  I had already received a few text messages from one of my best friends attempting to lure me into attending this year with the anticipation that some of my favorite bands would be there. And after all, it is a very tempting offer. In fact, when the line-up was posted online, I counted at least twenty bands that I would LOVE to see that will be rocking those stages in the fields of that Manchester, TN, farm in June...but I won't be there.

Or huge crowds.
Why not, you ask? It's as simple as I am a big baby p****.  There, I admitted it.

The hippie in me says "this is the closest to Woodstock you will ever get." And I admit that there is a part of me that desperately wishes I could bring myself to go. But the much bigger part of me says, "3 days in a tent, bad weather and 100 degree heat, stinky, dirty, no showers, etc. NO THANK YOU."

So this leads to my internal struggle...am I really the rock princess I claim to be, or just some loser poser? Here I claim that music means more to me than most anything, yet I won't sit out in the heat to see twenty of my favorite bands?

And then I remember why I love music so much. Music ignites feelings and emoitions, good and bad. We are able to relate to the words or the melody and it reaches a place inside us that we often don't let anyone into. We have songs we laugh to, cry to, work out to, drive to, remember to, etc. But it's all about the feeling; about the comfort level you reach with a song or artist. Being in that setting takes me out of my comfort level, which in turn, would take away from my experience.  Therefore, it's not worth it to me. A seedy little basement hole-in-the-wall bar is much more my style...

I prefer a mattress.
For those of you non-p***ies, you are in for one helluva a show. Do me a solid and check out Deer Tick (of course...you suck if you don't).

The 2011 Bonnaroo Line-up:
And again, I hate huge crowds...and mud...and no mattress.

No comments:

Post a Comment