Friday, March 11, 2011

Mountain Man- An Introduction

I cannot fully explain the excitement I felt when John McCauley, lead singer of my beloved Deer Tick, formed a side band with Taylor Goldsmith of Dawes, and Matt Vasquez of Delta Spirit (two of my other favorite bands in this world) called Middle Brother! Their first album, recorded right here in Nashville, Tennessee, came out on March 1st. Of course, I was up first thing that morning listening to the music I had pre-ordered. And in my very humble opinion, this collaboration is nothing short of musical genius at its best.

I was trolling Middle Brothers Facebook page this morning, as I do every morning, hoping to see a posting that they will be playing a show in Nashville soon and I can quit having heart palpitations from fear that they won't.  But instead of a tour date, I discovered a video of them singing my favorite song from the record, Daydreaming. What was different about this particular version of the song is they were joined by a trio of ladies called Mountain Man.

Of course, this peaked my interest. Anytime I discover a band or musician that I have never heard of before, I have to immediately do my research to see if I can then add them to my growing list of undiscovered greatness.  Mountain Man did not disappoint. Their sound is very unique, full of intricate harmonizing and with a vibe reminiscent of early Appalachia folk.  I can't wait to see what else this amazing trio has in store.

They are signed with the same indie label as Deer Tick and Middle Brother, Partisan Records.

Take a listen and see what you think...








Here is a link to the Middle Brother video with Mountain Man if you would like to view that as well:
http://vimeo.com/20591476

No comments:

Post a Comment