Thursday, March 17, 2011

For the Love of the Gingers

It all started with Neko...

At least, that's the first time I noticed it.

Over the past couple of years, I have been trying to coax my husband, Grant, into the indie music world. Reluctantly, he has somewhat began to embrace some of the music I love.  However, there appears to be a growing trend...Grant loves the red-headed ladies!

Like I said, it all began with Neko Case. In fact, she was the very first independent musician Grant really liked at all. I had just gotten my iPod and  filled it full of songs that were completely foreign to him. After several "skips" he listened to the first few lines of In California. I could see the wheels turning in his mind, and it was written all over his face...he liked it. Then when I got the, "Play that one again," I knew it was a hit.

Ever since then it has become a running joke between he and I. If I play a new female musician and he likes her, he will immediately ask, "Is she red-headed?" And usually the answer is yes.  Over the past couple of years, Grant has accumulated a slightly significant list of ginger singers that include, but are not limited to:
Neko Case, A Fine Frenzy (although Alison Sudol has been seen sporting golden locks recently), Jenny Lewis (solo and with her band, Rilo Kiley), Adele, Karen Elson, and Florance and the Machine.

I find it humorous that Grant, who has never been a big "woman singer" fan (he assures me it's not a man thing, he's just very picky when it comes to female voices) has embraced so many independent female artists recently, most of them sporting ginger dos.  He certainly stays true to his convictions!

Here is a sampling of Grant's ladies. Take a listen and let me know what you think.







































































No comments:

Post a Comment