Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hipster? Indie? Who Cares?

Several weeks ago, I had a friend pose and interesting question. He stated that it seemed to be a growing trend to be "indie". In other words, "indie" is becoming popular.  He asked if I felt to the indie scene needed protecting from the "hipster movement," or did I embrace this subculture regardless of their growing popularity?  This is an excellent question, and to be honest, I'm not sure I have a clear answer.

First, I think we need to start out by defining what a hipster is.  Robert Lanham defines a hipster in The Hipster Handbook as "One who possesses tastes, social attitudes, and opinions deemed cool by the cool. (Note: it is no longer recommended that one use the term "cool"; a Hipster would instead say "deck.") The Hipster walks among the masses in daily life but is not a part of them and shuns or reduces to kitsch anything held dear by the mainstream. A Hipster ideally possesses no more than 2% body fat."

Okay, while that is humorous and we can all get a good chuckle out of it, what does being a hipster really mean?  Is it negative? How does it differ from being indie? What category do I fall into? And does it really matter?

So here's my answer: It doesn't effing matter.

I guess what I am really trying to say is, I think that the label "hipster" or "indie" are what you make them for yourself. As far as I am concerned, it's about the music. It's always been about the music. I don't care if someone listens to a band because they think it is cool. If the music means something to them, who am I to judge?

I dyed my hair pink. Does that make me a hipster?
I know I have made my disdain for Taylor Swift and Justin Beiber and others like them abundantly clear, but that's for me. I certainly don't judge another person for enjoying their music. Someone may originally begin listening to a band because they've been told they are the hip band, but if the music speaks to them and moves them, the way music is supposed to, isn't that all that matters?

I would love it if the whole world knew about my favorite bands and movies. After all, that's kinda the purpose of this blog. I decided a long time ago that I was going to quit trying to be "cool" and just be me. I love the music I love because it means something to me. Period. If that makes me a hipster or indie, then so be it. I will proudly wave my music freak flag!

No comments:

Post a Comment