Monday, July 4, 2011

The Vinyl Revival



I remember being a small child and being completely in awe of my parents massive record collection. It took up an entire wall of our home and included every Beatles, Fleetwood Mac (even the Peter Green days), Led Zeppelin, and Rolling Stones album ever released. Growing up in the early '80s, there were even some Bangles and Madonna albums thrown in there for me. It was an amazing collection to say the least.

Over the years, cassette tapes, CDs, and now MP3s have taken the place of the over sized discs and we live in a time when bigger is no longer better. But along with size, I think we have lost something else...character. Now don't get me wrong, I would be completely lost without my iPod, and having the availability of hundreds and even thousands of songs at my fingertips is a luxury I am not sure I will ever be able to live without again. That being said, I am still finding myself drawn to the vinyl section of music stores, especially like my favorite store, Grimey's.
So what's with the vinyl revival? I think as people are becoming more involved in the whole "experience" of the music they love, they find themselves wanting to pay homage to the nostalgia of the time that paved the way for the music that speaks so strongly to us today. Plus, it's just plain cool. Duh.






I have found myself searching the interenet for just the right turntable, so that I can begin to amass my own vinyl collection full of todays fantastic music along with yesterday's favorites. I wish I reach back in time and save my parents old albums. 

Today, you can buy music packages that often include the vinyl copy, along with the CD and MP3 versions of the album.  You can also go to a record store, like Grimey's, and purchase preloved vinyl or even new vinyl for about the cost of a traditional CD.

So, while I continue on my search for the proper turntable and begin my collection of vinyl (my first purchase was a rather ratty copy of the Beatles' Hard Days Night), I hope that others will start their quest as well, so that someday our children can appreciate our amazing vinyl collections the way I appreciated my parents. Long live the Vinyl Revival!

No comments:

Post a Comment