Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Greatest Band EVER...and You've Probably Never Heard of Them

My name is Rhiannon Green, and I'm a "tickhead."

They say the first step in getting help is admitting you have a problem. Ok, so I admit it. I'm obsessed.

Finding Deer Tick, well, it was a spiritual awakening of sorts. Now, I'm not comparing them to God. Far from it. But discovering their music did wake something inside me.  It was if I had found the missing piece of the puzzle to complete the 10,000 piece "Rhiannon" I had been trying to complete over 25 years.

I had just resubscribed to Rolling Stone after a long and messy break-up (if you have read my other posts, you know all about this). Towards the back of the issue was the "review" section. In it was a review of Deer Tick's album War Elephant. Intrigued by what I read, I went on iTunes and downloaded the album. To say I was instantly obsessed with them, however, is untrue. I mean, I liked them right off the bat. I liked them a lot, in fact, but no more than I did any other band at that time.

Throughout the following weeks, the more I listened to the CD, the more it grew on me...and not just one or two songs, but EVERY song. And then...they came to town.

Grant and I were scheduled to leave on vacation to Savannah bright and early the following morning, but somehow, I talked him into taking me to see the band at The Basement, a fantabulous seedy little basement bar in the back of Grimey's on 8th Ave in Nashville (www.thebasementnashville.com/).


The opening bands were Justin and the Cosmics (always puts on a good show) and Dawes. I had never heard of Dawes before, but when John McCauley of Deer Tick came out and sang "When My Time Comes" with them, I knew I was walking away a fan or more than one band that night.



Then came the main event...Deer Tick came out and it was like I had been living in a dark hole my whole life and had suddenly been exposed to all the bright colors of the world.  It was like the best possible acid trip and I was hooked and wanted more. And more I got. The band literally rocked the house on into the wee hours of the morning and mind you, we were leaving for Savannah at 6 am...


From that moment on, I was hooked. And I am just as in love with them today as I was 3 years ago! My friends and family will tell you that I drive them crazy with it. But I really don't care...it's a part of me! Their lyrics speak to me and John McCauley's "gravel and moonshine" voice is beyond unique (although I have to admit that I am slightly creeped out by the fact that he looks identical to my father in his 20's). 


The band is currently working on a new album (which I believe they are recording right here in Nashville) and I am awaiting it's release with great anticipation! If it is anything like its predecessors, War Elephant, Born on Flag Day and The Black Dirt Sessions, it will be nothing short of amazing.

McCauley is also currently fronting a side project band called Middle Brother along with Taylor Goldsmith of Dawes, Matt Vasquez of Delta Spirit and the infamous Jonny Corndawg. That band has captured my heart as well. I pretty much think anything these guys do is genius.

So I hope this explains a little bit as to why I am such a Deer Tick freak and will continue to be until the day I die...






No comments:

Post a Comment