Tuesday, August 23, 2011

This Week's Song That's Stuck In My Head...

It's been more than two weeks since Grant and I saw The Decemberists in concert at the Ryman, and since then, more than one of their songs have been stuck in my head. I guess that's why I haven't been able to write my weekly posting about the one song that's on my brain, because I haven't had one...I've had 7.
I would have to say that without a doubt, that show was the best concert I have EVER been to.  And that's saying a lot considering all the concerts I have attended over the years. I have never had so much fun or had a band participate with the audience the way they did. To put it simply, we had a blast!


So, how about those 7 songs I can't get out of my head since the show...

They are: Rox in the Box, All Arise, The Chimbly Sweep, The Mariner's Revenge, Calamity Song, Oceanside and The Rake Song.

Rox in the Box, All Arise and the Calamity song are all off of their newest album, The King is Dead, which is pretty much ah-mazing. It has a slightly more country, folksy twist to it, but in the most fantabulous way. 

They started the concert with Oceanside... it is now my ringtone. 

After playing The Chimbly Sweep, someone in the crowd threw a tiny chimbly sweep doll on stage, which Colin Meloy graciously accepted and placed on a speaker box for the remainder of the evening.
The Mariner's Revenge was by far the most fun song of the evening! They acted the whole thing out and all of us in the audience swayed back and forth with the music. That is, until the pivotal point of the song where we all screamed out like we were being eaten by a whale. So theatrical and sooooooo fantastical! Take a listen to the song if none of that makes since to you...

And finally the Rake Song. Now, I never really cared for this song before because the lyrics are so utterly disturbing. But I have to say, after seeing it played live, and watching Sara Watkins beat the hell out of those drums turned me into a fan. It's now a favorite! Only the Decemberists can turn a song about killing babies into a worn out spot on my cd.

I'm not going to post the lyrics to all the songs because that that seems like overkill just a bit but I have included youtube videos for your viewing and listening pleasure. So now you can decide which you like, which you don't, but I bet you will be humming at least one later...


(all photos in this post were taken by me at the concert...my camera sucks.)








No comments:

Post a Comment